Top Ten California Native Plants for Your Garden for 2009
10. First, for the Shade category, we have Heuchera “Santa Ana Cardinal”
9. For the Sunflower Family category, there’s Aster chilensis
8. For the Fried Egg category, I like Romneya coulteri
7. For the Even More Delicious than a Fried Egg category, I see we’ve reached agreement with a Mallow, Malacothamnus palmeri
6. For the Tops in Shrubbiness category, there’s always Ceanothus “Tassajara Blue”, a classic Cal. Lilac for your enjoyment.
5. For the Most Beautiful category, Dudleya attenuata, but of course.
4. I see Manzanitas have their own category this year. Arctostaphylos pajaroensis “Warren Roberts” was a strong contender in the past, and has come through with the win this year with their big juicy berries!
3. For the Most Blooms, Dudleya cymosa – we seem to have our 2nd Dudleya on this list. It’s an outstanding performance by the Dudleyas this year!
2. For the Bay Area Favorite Award, Salvia “Allen Chickering”
And the #1 California native plant for your garden of 2009 is…
1. Best in Show goes to Lupinus arboreus. Yay!